- ENGAGE: The NYC Digital Storytelling Conference is a one-day digital storytelling event will gather together a carefully selected group of experts, visionaries and leaders to talk about how digital storytelling has changed–and will change. The conference takes place April 29, 2014. With a special focus on publishing, we’ll look at innovative ways to fine-tune storytelling within the context of advertising. We’ll examine the role of current and emerging technology. Ultimately, we’ll help you drive and create amazing content experience for viewers and users alike.
The Society for Professional Journalists (SPJ) is working with Investigative Reporters and Editors (IRE) and the New England Center for Investigative Reporting (NECIR) to offer two-day Watchdog Reporting Workshops for journalists from your region. If your team is chosen, there will be follow-up training opportunities (google meet-ups, webinars, etc) and ongoing story consulting for a limited period of time. The sessions and the follow-up training are free, thanks to the support from Sigma Delta Chi Foundation. You’ll be responsible for any travel costs. We want to ensure that we work with news organizations that not only desire to do better work, but are committed to the effort. Training will take place in Chicago, April 28-29, hosted by Columbia College.
- When news looks like an unending stream of what’s wrong, what’s broken or what’s corrupt, audiences complain that the news is nothing but bad news. The solution for this problem may be to focus on not only problems, but also how people are trying to fix them. The Solutions Journalism Network was founded in 2013 to legitimize and spread the practice of “solutions journalism”: rigorous, compelling reporting on responses to problems. SJN works with newsrooms around the country—including the most hard-hitting, investigation-focused newsrooms such as the Center for Investigative Reporting and the Seattle Times—to help them do solutions-focused stories and series. The webinar will take place Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 2:00pm Eastern Time. For more information, visit Poynter. This Webinar will give you practical, specific tips for reporting and writing solutions stories, and using them to make your journalism stronger.
Are you interested in targeting audiences through social media (e.g., Twitter and Facebook) but challenged to identify or engage with them? The Johns Hopkins University MA in Communication Digital Social Advocacy online, 14-day workshop will address questions like these and more! The workshop is open to communication practitioners around the globe, regardless of whether or not they ever have been admitted to the MA in Communication program. They may work in various fields that aim to stimulate change, such as politics, advocacy, lobbying, social justice, health, digital technologies, and public relations. The workshop will be held May 09, 2014 – May 19, 2014 in Washington, DC.
- A new initiative established at CUNY’s Graduate School of Journalism will offer fellowships of up to $15,000 to experienced business journalists starting this spring. Applications will be accepted periodically through 2014. The upcoming deadline for applications is May 15, 2014. The fellowship is open to those with at least five years professional experience in journalism, including freelance journalists, as well as reporters and editors currently working at a news organization. Fellowship applicants should submit a focused story proposal of no more than three pages through the accompanying online form.
- The Global Editors Network hosts the GEN Summit June 11 – 13 in Barcelona. Discover ‘robot journalism’, and be updated about drone journalism and data journalism. This is the event to meet with the media industry influentials and drive business.
The best in the business will gather for more than 100 panels, hands-on classes and special presentations about covering business, public safety, government, health care, education, the military, the environment and other key beats at the 2014 IRE conference June 26-29, 2014 in San Francisco. Speakers will share strategies for locating documents and gaining access to public records, finding the best stories and managing investigations. Join the discussion about how to practice investigative journalism in print, broadcast, Web and alternative newsroom models.
The National Association of Black Journalists will hold its 39th Annual Convention and Career Fair in Boston July 30-Aug. 3, 2014. Thousands of journalists, media executives, public relations professionals, and students are expected to attend to network, participate in professional development sessions and celebrate excellence in journalism.
- The Excellence in Journalism 2014 conference in Nashville will host top news professionals from broadcast, print and digital newsrooms around the country September 4-6, 2014.
- The Online News Association 2014 Conference & Awards Banquet is the premier gathering of highly engaged digital journalists shaping media now. Learn about new tools and technologies, network with peers from around the world and celebrate excellence at the Online Journalism Awards. ONA is looking for your input on sessions for ONA14, Sept. 25-27, in Chicago. Submit your session proposals from March 20 to April 18. Submit one here
If you have items you wish to include, please email them to me at benet AT aviationqueen DOT COM. Thanks!!