By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF co-chair, Online Managing Editor-Business Aviation, Aviation Week Group
Editor’s note: the replay of today’s NABJ Reinvention Committee and Digital Journalism Task Force BlogTalkRadio “In the Thick of My Career: Searching for the ‘New Me,’” is now posted, here. Click here for the replay of our first show in this series — “The Young & the Restless: Keeping Hope & Journalism Alive,” which aired on April 15. Our third and final show in the series will be “Laid Off, Bought Out & Scared: Managing My Life and Finances.” This session with Past NABJ President Sidmel Estes of BreakThrough Inc., targets journalists who may have recently lost their jobs or fear they may lose them. We’ll discuss what you can do now to prepare for the worst, how you adjust to life without the office and offer Budgeting 101 tips.
I have written extensively about the Black Weblog Awards in NABJDigital. You can see my past stories here. The deadline for nominations for the 2011 awards is Saturday, May 7, and I hope you’ll consider nominating National Association of Black Journalist members and others for this worthy endeavor. Are you having trouble deciding who to pick? Below are my top 10 nominations. You can also click here to see the list of finalists for 2010.
- Greg Gross, I’m Black and I Travel: Greg is my travel brother from another mother, and his blog is amazing. My NABJDigital profile of him is here.
- Michelle Fitzhugh-Craig, shades: Michelle is my Bay Area sister who created a blog/magazine that focuses on women of color. My profile of her is here.
- Dr. Michelle Ferrier, LocallyGrownNews.com and organizer, Journalism That Matters Create or Die 2, 2011: I first met Michelle back at the BlogOrlando conference in 2008. She’s one of those people who does so much you’re tempted to hate them, but instead, you’re amazed at their breadth and depth of work. My profile of her is here.
- Kiratiana Freelon, Kiratiana Travels: Kiratiana is one of those blogging superstars I love to promote. She not only handles her own blog, but she also oversees American Airlines’ Black Atlas blog. My NABJDigital profile of her here.
- Marcus Osborne, Your Straight Male Friend: I met Marcus at last year’s NABJ convention in San Diego, when we were on a panel together. He is the poster child for making lemons out of lemonade, and my profile of him is here.
- The Professor Diva Diaries: I did a similar post on the awards last year, and I “met” the divas after they posted to this blog with their own recommendations. They moved from the newsroom to the class room and blog about their adventures. Thanks to them, I found the graphic designer — Julia Edwards — for my AviationQueen.com logo. She did theirs, too! And my profile of them is here.
- Brown Girls Fly: They had me with their tag line: a melanin-infused perspective on travel. I like their travel tips, and I like that they are brown girls on a budget who still manage to travel the world. And it’s my own bad that I haven’t profiled them here — yet!
- Natalie McNeal, Frugalista: I have been a fan since she did her first no-spend month blog post back in the day. I loved her book, The Frugalista Files. I know she’s been busy, but I wish she would post more!