I’m not going to lie-I’m a girl who likes a good meal. And in New Orleans, you always eat well, even if you’re broke. My mother’s family is from Lousiana, so I grew up eating food like crawfish etouffee (see above), red beans and rice, muffuletta and po boy sandwiches.
Below are five places I try not to miss when I visit the Crescent City.
1. Compere Lapin. The brainchild of former “Top Chef” contestant (one of my show favorites) Nina Compton, this restaurant blends Caribbean and New Orleans cuisine that’s delicious.
2. Clover Grill. This is down home diner cooking at its best. They cook the burgers under a hubcab, and they are among the best I’ve ever had. And the amusing attitudinal waitstaff is a bonus!
3. Deanie’s Seafood. I took Dr. Syb Brown during the last NABJ convention here in 2012. The seafood is fresh and the portions are massive. A large catfish/shrimp platter is more than enough for two!
4. HiVolt Coffee and Bakery. I’m a big fan of this eatery, which has great coffee and is famous for its breakfast sandwiches and breakfast bowls.
5. Daisy Dukes. Just on the edge of the French Quarter, it’s open 24/7 and has great breakfast options. But it’s also known for its $8 bottomless Cajun Bloody Marys.
Pre-registration for the convention ends on June 1, so register here. I’ll see you in New Orleans!!