- The Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism presents the free webinar, “Social Media ROI for Journalists” on March 25, 2014. The Arizona Republic’s Chad Graham and the Reynolds Center’s digital director Robin J. Phillips provide tips for harnessing social media to reach your brand’s fullest potential online.
- On March 27, 2014, the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism presents the free afternoon workshop, “Detecting Corporate Fraud,” in partnership with the Society of American Business Editors and Writers. Theo Francis, investigative reporter at The Wall Street Journal, and Roddy Boyd, founder of the Southern Investigative Reporting Foundation, offer techniques for analyzing SEC filings and other disclosures.
- Make your plans now to attend the annual conference of the Society of American Business Editors and Writers, March 27-29, 2014, in Phoenix, Ariz. Michael Lewis, author of “Moneyball” and “The Blind Side,” will be among the keynote speakers as he accepts SABEW’s Distinguished Achievement Award. The conference will conclude with a banquet honoring winners of the 19th annual Best in Business awards competition. The conference, to be hosted by The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University, is expected to attract several hundred business editors, reporters and producers as well as a wide range of exhibitors.
- The Society of Professional Journalists is holding its Region 2 conference March 28 and 29 at Georgetown University, 640 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, D.C. The conference will start on March 28 with a screening of “A Fragile Trust,” a new documentary about the plagiarism and fabrication of Jayson Blair. There will be a full day of programs and a Mark of Excellence awards luncheon on March 29.
- The Society for Environmental Journalists is calling for award entries. SEJ’s awards honor the best environmental journalism in seven categories, bringing recognition to the most important stories on the planet. Journalism broadcast or published in print or online is eligible. The deadline to apply is April 1, 2014. SEJ’s 2014 Awards will be presented on Sept. 3, 2014, at SEJ’s 24th Annual Conference in New Orleans, Louisiana. $500 will be offered for first-place winners in seven categories. Enter environmental stories produced between March 1, 2013 and Feb. 28, 2014. Click here to see past winners and learn how to apply.
The post-graduate, multimedia fellow manages and maintains the Scripps Howard Foundation Wire’s website. He or she creates multimedia projects for our website, works with undergraduate interns to develop multimedia projects and provides leadership to a team that produces news stories and projects. Qualified applicants must have professional-level expertise in HTML, content management systems and CSS. Applicants must also have high-level skills in reporting and writing, shooting photos and video using a DSLR camera and editing video. This one-year, post-graduate, multimedia fellowship will begin in late summer 2014 and run through mid-August 2015. The fellowship includes a $22,155 stipend, plus free housing in a furnished apartment shared with the program’s undergraduate interns. The deadline to apply is April 1.
The National Association of Black Journalists will hold its 6th Annual Media Institute on Health: Health Policy and Health Inequities in Washington, D.C., at the Barbara Jordan Conference Center at The Kaiser Family Foundation April 10-12. It is the only conference of its kind to focus exclusively on health disparities in communities of color and provide print, broadcast and digital journalists with tools to effectively report on the rollout of the Affordable Care Act of health care reform and health policy on underserved communities. Journalists and media professionals will leave with resources to inform and empower readers and viewers to action. Registration is $79 for members and $129 for nonmembers.
- The Global Editors Network hosts the GEN Summit June 11 – 13 in Barcelona. Discover ‘robot journalism’, and be updated about drone journalism and data journalism. This is the event to meet with the media industry influentials and drive business.
The best in the business will gather for more than 100 panels, hands-on classes and special presentations about covering business, public safety, government, health care, education, the military, the environment and other key beats at the 2014 IRE conference June 26-29, 2014 in San Francisco. Speakers will share strategies for locating documents and gaining access to public records, finding the best stories and managing investigations. Join the discussion about how to practice investigative journalism in print, broadcast, Web and alternative newsroom models.
The National Association of Black Journalists will hold its 39th Annual Convention and Career Fair in Boston July 30-Aug. 3, 2014. Thousands of journalists, media executives, public relations professionals, and students are expected to attend to network, participate in professional development sessions and celebrate excellence in journalism.
- The Excellence in Journalism 2014 conference in Nashville will host top news professionals from broadcast, print and digital newsrooms around the country September 4-6, 2014.
- The Online News Association 2014 Conference & Awards Banquet is the premier gathering of highly engaged digital journalists shaping media now. Learn about new tools and technologies, network with peers from around the world and celebrate excellence at the Online Journalism Awards. ONA is looking for your input on sessions for ONA14, Sept. 25-27, in Chicago. Submit your session proposals from March 20 to April 18. Submit one here
If you have items you wish to include, please email them to me at benet AT aviationqueen DOT COM. Thanks!!