By Ameena Rasheed, NABJ Digital Journalism Task Force Intern
- The Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism presents the free business journalism workshop, “Accountability in Indian Country – Be a Better Business Watchdog,” which kicks off the Native American Journalists Association’s annual conference on July 18 in Phoenix. Presented by IRE’s training director Jaimi Dowdell and The Daily Advertiser’s watchdog editor Dianna Hunt, this daylong training offers hands-on tips for finding, downloading and analyzing online databases using Excel. Register at the main workshop page: http://bit.ly/18Tj0qI.
- The National Association of Black Journalists welcomes you to join us from July 31-August 4, 2013 as we gather in Orlando for the 38th Annual Convention and Career Fair! Thousands of journalists, media executives, public relations professionals, and students are expected to attend to network, participate in professional development sessions and celebrate excellence in journalism.
- The Native American Journalists Association and Native Public Media will co-host this year’s national conference, giving special focus to the latest innovations in the media industry and news developments in Indian Country. The national conference for media professionals interested in improving their reporting on and delivery of Native news will be held at the Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center July 18-21. Click here for more information.
- Get your entry in for the 2013 Barlett and Steele Awards for Investigative Business Journalism, which offers $8,000 in prizes. Apply online by Aug. 1for print or online work completed in the year ending June 30, 2013.
- The Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism presents the business journalism workshop, “Covering Your Local Economy,” which precedes the Asian American Journalists Association Convention in New York. Presented by NPR’s Marilyn Geewax and freelancer Meena Thiruvengadam, this half-day training will equip you with the story ideas and skills you need to tackle economic stories on any beat. Details: http://bit.ly/19l55de
- The Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism presents the business journalism workshop, “The Business of Me,” which precedes the Excellence in Journalism Conference in Anaheim. Presented by Twitter’s Mark S. Luckie, this half-day training will help you identify and pitch your business idea, as well as brand and market yourself. Details: http://bit.ly/11WcnKV
- The Society of Professional Journalists, Radio Television News Association and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists present the Excellence in Journalism conference this year in Anaheim on August 24-26. Click here for more information.
- The Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication is holding its annual conference in Washington D.C., Aug. 8-11.
- More than 850 journalists, news executives, media researchers, and community leaders will attend the 23rd Annual Asian American Journalists Association Convention at the Hilton New York, August 21-24, 2013. Click here for more information.
- More than 350 journalists and communication professionals from across the United States will meet in Boston from August 22 – 25, 2013 for the National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association National Convention and 9th LGBT Media Summit. Click here for more information.
- The McCormick Tribune Specialized Reporting Institute will be held at the University of Texas at El Paso campus this fall from September 26-29. There are 15 all-expenses paid scholarships for professional and independent journalists to attend. The application deadline is August 5. You may find more information here.
- The Abe Fellowship for Journalists is designed to encourage in-depth coverage of topics of pressing concern to the United States and Japan through individual short-term policy-related projects. For information on eligibility criteria or to apply, please visit us at http://www.ssrc.org/fellowships/abe-fellowship-for-journalists/. Contact SSRC staff at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
- The Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism presents the free business journalism workshop, “Finding Your Best Investigative Business Story,” at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Award-winning professors Alec Klein of Northwestern University and Chris Roush of the University of North Carolina lead this day-long training, which focuses on identifying and developing local investigative business stories. Register at the main workshop page: http://bit.ly/16B86li
- It’s time to plan your trip to the 2013 Online News Association Conference & Awards Banquet, Oct. 17-19, 2013 in Atlanta. Clickhere for more information.
- The 92nd annual ACP/CMA National College Media Convention will be Oct. 23-27 in New Orleans. Click here for more information.
- The Journalism and Women Symposium (JAWS) will be hosting its fall camp in Essex, Vt. Click here for more information.
- The 35th Annual SND Workshop and Exhibition will be held November 7-9, 2013, in Louisville, Kentucky. The event is hosted by Gannett Louisville Design Studio. Click here for more information.
- The National Association of Science Writers will be held November 1-5 in Gainesville, Florida. Click here for more information.
If you have items you wish to include, please email them to me at benet AT aviationqueen DOT COM. Thanks!!