By Ameena Rasheed, NABJ Digital Journalism Task Force Intern
Editor’s note: the Digital Journalism Task Force is working on programming that will take us right to the annual convention. To that end, we’d appreciate it if you could take this quick 5-question survey to let us know what you want. Thanks!!
Webbmedia Group has a great mega calendar of events that catches things not covered below. If you want to subscribe to the calendar, click here. You can also subscribe to this calendar so the information appears on your personal Google Calendar. Just go to the Webbmedia Google calendar, click the “+Google Calendar” icon at the bottom right, and then click “Yes, add this calendar” in the dialog box). The Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism has its training calendar posted for courses through July 2013.
- Join Poynter’s online on June 24 for Reporters Boot Camp 2013: A Poynter Broadcast through NewsU. You can watch the broadcasts of the live sessions for the day, ask questions and join text chats with other online participants. The broadcast is just $69 if you register by June 3.
- The Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism is holding a free two-part online webinar, “The Business of Me,” June 4-6 at noon or 4:00 p.m. In this three-day webinar with Mark Luckie of Twitter, learn how to brand and market yourself and to pitch your ideas, plus understand the basics of financial and time management. Identify five next steps to advance your career as an entrepreneur.
- The Knight Digital Media Center is taking applications for its two-week “Multimedia Storytelling Institute 2013,” June 10-21 at UC-Berkeley. This intensive two-week program provides seminar style and hands-on training in essential skills for digital media production. The institute is ideal for journalists, educators and communication professionals interested in a rapid-paced immersible experience in multimedia content creation through delivery. The cost is $5,400; there’s a 10% discount if you register before May 10.
- The Online News Association is partnering with the Global Editors Network to present several sessions at the Global News Summit 2013: Hack the Newsroom! (#GEN2013) conference on June 19-21 in Paris, France at Hotel de Ville, 5 rue de Lobau, 75004 Paris. The conference will feature industry experts giving you the tools and strategies you need to help seed, encourage and implement experimentation and start-up culture in your digital newsroom. Registration is open to all ONA members and you can save 30 percent on registration if you purchase your tickets by Feb. 18. Early bird tickets are € 839 ($1,119.95) for GEN and ONA members and € 1,199 ($1,600.31).
- The Journalism & Women Symposium invites early-career, female journalists to apply for the 2013 CAMP Fellowship. Fellowships will cover registration for the 2013 JAWS Conference and Mentoring Project (CAMP) in Essex, Vermont, from Oct. 25 – 27. Fellows will also receive a one-year JAWS membership and a stipend for travel and lodging. JAWS CAMP is for female journalists of all ages and focuses on strengthening core journalism skills, building personal brands and careers, developing strategies for success in today’s rapidly evolving media landscape, and improving the status of women in journalism. Participants at this year’s CAMP will enjoy a dynamic experience filled with inspiring speakers (including NYT Executive Editor Jill Abramson), motivating career development sessions, and rewarding networking and mentoring opportunities.
Fellowship applicants are asked to submit a one-page résumé, two published clips, a personal statement (300 words or less) on why she wants to attend CAMP and what she hopes to contribute, and one letter of recommendation. Please send all application materials via Email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on fellowships, please visit the JAWS website (http://www.jaws.org/jaws-events/fellowships/) or contact Fellowship Chair Jessica Rettig at email@example.com. For CAMP updates, visit www.jaws.org or follow JAWS on Twitter at www.twitter.com/womenjournos. The deadline is June 1.
- Top industry leaders will generate headline news as they address scores of real estate journalists from across the nation in Atlanta June 5-8 at the National Association of Real Estate Editors (NAREE) 47th Annual Real Estate Journalism Conference. NAREE University sessions at the conference will offer journalism workshops focusing on topics ranging from digital and social media to radio broadcasting. Economists, architects, builders, developers and mortgage experts will come together under NAREE’s roof. More than 20 company presidents, chief executive officers and partners from leading real estate-related firms will appear. Three chief economists lead the NAREE forecast panel: Lawrence Yun, National Association of Realtors; Jed Kolko, Trulia and Mark Fleming, Core Logic. The Boom in Luxury Housing panel presents: Kofi Nartey, Agency of Beverly Hills; Martha Turner, Martha Turner Properties and Jack Cotton, Sotheby’s International. Mark Woodworth, PKF Hospitality Research, will deliver a hotel market forecast and author and architect Marianne Cusato, designer of the famed Katrina Cottages, will speak on “The Best Places to Live.”NAREE’s 17th Annual Meet the Press will match journalists with publicists and freelancers during three-minute interviews. Winners of the 63rd Annual NAREE Real Estate Journalism Competition and the Bruss Book Awards will be unveiled. The NAREE Conference, headquartered at the Hilton Atlanta Downtown, begins Wednesday morning, June 5 and ends Saturday afternoon. Registration: www.NAREE.org
- Morningstar, Inc., a leading provider of independent investment research, is hosting its 25th annual investment conference for financial advisors.More information about the Morningstar Investment Conference, including the full agenda, hotel accommodations, attendee registration, and continuing-education credits, is available athttp://global.morningstar.com/MIC2013. Conference updates are also available on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/MStarAdvisoror through the conference hashtag: #MIC25. Press Registration Information: Full-time members of the news media may receive complimentary registration to the Morningstar Investment Conference. If you are a member of the media and want to register for the conference, visit:http://global.morningstar.com/mediaregistration or call Shawn Malayter at 312-696-6050.
- The National Association of Black Journalists welcomes you to join us from July 31-August 4, 2013 as we gather in Orlando for the 38th Annual Convention and Career Fair! Thousands of journalists, media executives, public relations professionals, and students are expected to attend to network, participate in professional development sessions and celebrate excellence in journalism.
If you have items you wish to include, please email them to me at benet AT aviationqueen DOT COM. Thanks!!