By Benét J. Wilson, chair, NABJ Digital Journalism Task Force & social media/newsletters editor, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
We’ve all been waiting with bated breath for the details of one of the world’s worst-kept secrets: the new iPhone 5. I admit I’m a geek, so I followed a lot of the live blogging from the event, with Mashable offering my favorite coverage.
As a journalist, I wanted to know what about this new phone benefits me as I try to work smarter. Here’s what Tim Cook gave us:
- Price. I paid $299 for my 32GB iPhone 4 back in 2010, and that’s the same price as the iPhone 5 version.
- Battery. The new phone has 225 hours of standby and eight hours of talk time.
- Camera. They boosted it up to eight mega pixels and it now has the retina display. It also has Panorama, which lets you take high-definition panoramic photos.
- Microphone. For those of us who shoot video on the iPhone, the 5 now has three microphones!
- 4G LTE. Thanks to this, we’ll be able to surf much faster.
BONUS – we are *finally* gettnig a decent earpiece, which features noise-cancelling technology.