By Markeya Thomas, Student/Multimedia Journalist, Georgia State University
As the year begins, the conventions start rolling. Finding a convention that best suits your needs may be difficult, but you have it made. Here are my picks for journalism and media conventions to visit this year.
- Dates: February 20-21
- Location: Miami, FL
- An Initiative of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation – Without technology, there would be no media. The Media Learning Seminar combines the best of journalism and technology. They will be discussing the movement and progression of technology and the ever-changing industry of media. The intention of this convention is to enlighten professionals on the different methods that can be used to reach a broader audience.
- Dates: June 20-24
- Location: New Orleans, LA
- A must-attend for those who are strong advocates of diversity in the newsroom. The annual NABJ Convention and Career Fair attracts professional journalists, students and those affiliated with media. They provide many workshops to further develop skills in the areas of journalism, screen writing, social networking, technology, book publishing and more. This convention also has an amazing career fair where many of the leading companies in media, business, technology, and entertainment are seeking to attract and hire those with a passion for media.
- Dates: August 1-4
- Location: Las Vegas, NV
- Journalist of Color, Inc. 2012 Convention – A great way to network with those who are advocates of diversity in the newsroom. A classic convention that only occurs every 4 years, its ability to continue to attract people makes it a classic in itself. In a field that is dominated by the majority, Unity is a coalition of four minority/LGBT organizations fighting to bring diversity within newsrooms. Unity will have a career fair, as well as, provide career coaching, education sessions, student projects and plenty more.
- Dates: August 3-4
- Location: New York, NY
- As print newspapers and magazines continue to transition to have an extensive online content, online media is bigger than ever. It is vital for journalist to be able to keep up with the trends in media, making BlogHer a must-attend convention. BlogHer brings bloggers who cover different aspects of media together to connect, learn, and inspire.
- Dates: September 20-22
- Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
- This annual convention targets radio, television and digital news journalists. It offers workshops from developing one’s social media strategy to creating multiplatform stories. Although this convention is relatively short, an attendee would leave this convention feeling acknowledged and able to apply new knowledge and techniques to their respective jobs.