By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF co-chair, Online Managing Editor-Business Aviation, Aviation Week Group
As usual, I have an overloaded bookmark folder with stuff I want to pass along. So until I find the time to whittle down the pile, you’ll be getting five plus five until further notice. For newer readers, I do this column every Friday of interesting tools, technology, websites and tips that can help you do your job as a journalist better. Enjoy!
- 10000 Words — Five ways to visualize your personal data. I found the Tweet stats website to be particularly insightful, since I oversee five different accounts.
- Adam Westbrook — 10 free and totally legal programs every multimedia journalist should have. I’m one of those people who likes to try all the latest programs. Some I use suggested here include GIMP, Audacity and Instapaper.
- Networked — Streamlining your social media posting: How to update more than one site at a time. Between my work and personal life, I’m juggling several social media sites, so you need to control that. The suggestions here are good, but I’m a BIG fan of TweetDeck, which lets me manage my Twitter accounts and my various Facebook pages.
- Journalists’ Toolkit — 7 Do’s and Don’ts for Video on Point-and-Shoot Cameras. For those who are still using these types of cameras for shooting video, these are some good tips.
- Mashable — 46 New Digital Media Resources You May Have Missed. I love it when Mashable does this list, because I always manage to find something I haven’t used before. This time I discovered the following: HOW TO: Avoid and Prevent Facebook Spam; 7 Superb Short Films Shot With Cellphones; and HOW TO: Launch Any Product Using Social Media.
- MakeUseOf — 5 Cool Ways To Make Use Of National Geographic Maps. Here’s an alternative to the usual map suspects.
- Teaching Online Journalism — Ideas for using Encyclo in journalism classes. While this post is targeted to teachers, aren’t we all trying to keep up with the latest tools in journalism? Encyclo can help.
- Innovative Interactivity II — Hosting options for multimedia websites. Thinking about finally getting that new website off the ground? This post tells you the best places to host said website.
- Vadim Lavrusik — New to Twitter? Here Are 12 Tips From the Community. As I watch more and more friends jumping onto Twitter, this is a handy guide from the guy who is now running Facebook’s project to attract more journalists.
- PC World — 12 Must-Have Android Apps for Road Warriors. I’m an iPhone user, but plenty of my peeps out there (hi @brandonvivo!) are addicted to their Android phones, so I’m showing them the love.