By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF co-chair, Online Managing Editor-Business Aviation, Aviation Week Group
I was scrolling through my Google Reader earlier this month when I read this Dec. 8 post on Steve Buttry’s informative blog on multimedia. He was writing about News Foo, an invitation-only event that was (as Steve wrote) a “stimulating and thoughtful interaction with creative and innovative journalists, entrepreneurs, digital thinkers and technology pioneers.” The event was held at the Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University. When I read Buttry’s post, my first question was “I wonder how many journalists of color were in attendance?” You can see the list of attendees here.
I sent out some Tweets to people I would guess should have been invited. A handful were, but chose not to attend for whatever reason. But then this post from Retha Hill, director of the new media innovation lab at ASU – who did attend News Foo – offered more information. And Hill asked the bigger question – why are new media conferences lacking in minorities? That, in turn, led to a spirited live Twitter chat yesterday hosted by PBS Media Shift, which featured Doug Mitchell, chairman of NABJ’s Media Institute, among other things. You can follow the chat at the #mediadiversity hash tag. My big takeaway was one side saying “we don’t know where you new media journalists of color are” on one side and “here we are, but you ignore us” on the other.
Here at NABJDigital, we have worked hard to spotlight and champion journalists of color who we think are doing some interesting things on the new/social/multimedia side of the business. Below are the ones we’ve done since starting this blog in October 2009. If you know of others, PLEASE – let us know.!
- Interview with Brazil’s Juliana Bozan on Women in Tech Entrepreneurship
- NABJDigital Interviews Multimedia Journalist Mark Luckie – Part 1
- NABJ Digital Interviews Multimedia Journalist Mark Luckie, Part 2
- NABJDigital Interviews Black Girl With Long Hair Web Site Founder
- NABJDigital BlogTalkRadio: Journalist/Professor/Evangelist/Skeptic Sree Sreenivasan
- Part 1: NABJDigital Profiles Maurice Cherry, Creator of the Black Weblog Awards
- Part 2: NABJDigital Profiles Maurice Cherry, Owner of 3eighteen Media
- NABJDigital Profiles Marian Anderson of Haute Travels Blog
- Brandon Gillespie – Going After His OWN
- NABJDigital Profiles the Professor Diva Diaries
- NABJ Member Retha Hill Among Winners of Knight News Challenge Grant
- NABJDigital Profiles The FlavorDiva.com Blog
- NABJDigital Profiles Elaine “The Etiquette Lady” Swann
- South By Southwest 2011 Interactive Seeks Diverse Panels
- NABJDigital Profiles Dr. Michelle Ferrier of LocallyGrownNews.com
- What Do Investors Want When Funding Entrepreneurial Projects? Terry Hicks Tells Us
- NABJDigital Profiles shades Magazine’s Michelle Fitzhugh-Craig
- NABJDigital Interviews Renée Horne, FedEx Director of Digital Social Media Engagement