By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF co-chair, Online Managing Editor-Business Aviation, Aviation Week Group
- Webbmedia Group has a great calendar of events that catches things not covered below. If you want to subscribe to the calendar, click here. You can also subscribe to this calendar so the information appears on your personal Google Calendar. Just go to the Webbmedia Google calendar, click the “+Google Calendar” icon at the bottom right, and then click “Yes, add this calendar” in the dialog box.)
- Media Bistro will hold the online course Writing Scripts for Online Video for four Tuesdays Aug. 10 through Sept. 7. The course discusses how to think in terms of short attention spans, target markets that span all demographics, and find the right topics to explore to create a perfect online video. The cost is $350.
- DJTF member Tiffany Black is teaching two courses for Media Bistro. Writing and Editing for the Web, Aug. 10 through Sept. 7 on Tuesdays, will show you how to write, edit, and publish online content. The cost is $350. She’s also teaching Advanced Social Media, Aug. 11 through Sept. 15 on Wednesdays, where she’ll cover how to make the most of Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google Buzz.
- The Interactive Innovative blog posts about a series of multimedia training with Maine Media Training from now through Oct. 30. Courses include Stills & Video for Multimedia; One-man Band; Intro to Web Design; and Audio Narrative. For more information go to Maine Media Training.
- The Freedom Forum Diversity Institute is offering three Multimedia Boot Camps for Journalism Professionals and Educators. They are scheduled for Aug. 11-15 and Nov. 17-21 at the Freedom Forum’s John Seigenthaler Center in Nashville, Tenn. The cost is $850.
- BusinessJournalism.org is holding a free Webinar, “How to be an entrepreneur as a business journalist” Aug. 9-13. The weeklong Webinar, which teaches how to use your skills to make a living outside mainstream media, will be taught by freelancer and National Association of Black Journalists member Maya Smart and “Ask-the Recruiter” blogger Joe Grimm will teach the five-hour course.
- The Poynter Institute is holding a seminar – Multimedia Storytelling With Video – Sept. 20-24. Tuition is $995, and applications are due Aug. 9.
- Looking for financing for your journalism business? FundingPost.com is hosting an angel and venture capitalist event Aug. 24 in New York City. A panel of investors will focus on Early-Stage Venture Investing, discussing
how to meet investors, pitch them, and what it takes to get that check. The event costs $75. There will also be an Optional Pitching Workshop Lunch from 11am-1pm for $350. The Lunch Workshop includes the $75 ticket to the event, and a 1/4 page listing in the Venture Guide Magazine. Most importantly, it includes a 2-minute Pitching Spot to the Investors during the event!
- The Poynter Institute is holding an online group seminar – Becoming a More Effective Reporter: Telling Untold Stories – Sept. 13-Oct. 4. Tuition is $399, and applications are due Aug. 9.
- The Donald J. Reynolds Journalism Institute is offering a Webinar – Develop Business Angles on Any Beat – Sept 14. Chad Graham, social media editor at The Arizona Republic, and Robin J. Phillips, Reynolds Center Web managing editor, will co-present this one-hour Webinar that will be of interest to all journalists and editors who understand the importance of exploring the business angle of every story.
- The Donald J. Reynolds Journalism Institute will host Block by Block: Community News Summit 2010 Sept. 23-24 in Chicago. Reynolds Fellow Michele McLellan and New York University Journalism Professor Jay Rosen will lead discussions from leading pioneers of online local news sites to discuss what’s working – and what needs work. The event is invitation-only.
- The Poynter Institute is holding the Video Storytelling Workshop: 2010 Edition Sept. 25. The event, held with the National Photographers Press Foundation team, will present a day-long event that will help you be a better video journalist. Tuition is $65.
- The BlogWorld New Media Expo will be held at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas Oct. 15-16.
- Think like Google — what you need to know about SEO is a Webinar being offered by the Donald J. Reynolds Journalism Institute on Oct. 19. The hour-long session will help reporters and editors understand the Web and how search engines find online content, explain some fundamentals of SEO and why journalists should care and give journalists tips and tools for writing good headline and ledes for the Web.
- Registration is now open for the Online News Association’s annual conference in Washington, D.C., Oct. 28-30.
- The Donald J. Reynolds Journalism Institute is offering the Webinar Writing Business News for the Web Dec. 1-2. This Webinar will help writers and editors write with clarity, efficiency, brevity and transparency.
If you have any items that I’ve missed, please drop me an email via the DJTF Yahoo! Listserv or at regaviationqueen AT yahoo DOT com. Thanks!