By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF co-chair, Online Managing Editor-Business Aviation, Aviation Week Group
With the National Association of Black Journalists annual conference coming up next week, I thought it would be a great idea to offer up a list of social media tips that fits in with this year’s theme: The Power of Change. So below are five tips — and a bonus five — that will prepare you for San Diego and beyond.
Note — I’ll be live-tweeting the conference starting at the board meeting on Tuesday. You can follow me at @NABJDigital. And if you see me around, please say hello. I’ll also be moderating the panel “Brand Yourself, Secure Your Survival” on Thursday, July 29 from 1:30 to 3:00.
- 10000 Words — 5 Free alternatives to Ning for creating a social network. Ning went to a pay model back in April, forcing established networks to pay. I’m a big fan of Posterous.
- SPJ’s Networked — Top 10 social media best practices.
- Mashable — HOW TO: Spring Clean Your Twitter Account. The UnTweeps service really helped me weed out the lurkers and spam bots.
- Quick Online Tips — 5 Ways to Use Blogs, Social Media to Become a Recognized Expert.
- CyberJournalist — 10 things your grandmother can teach you about social media.
- Think Traffic — How to use Personality to Build a Loyal Audience and Create Raving Fans.
- Inspiration Feed — Leave Facebook For These 11 Alternatives.
- Inflexion Advisors — How To Live Tweet A Conference.
- Social Media Examiner — 9 Ways to Enhance Your Facebook Fan Page.
- Mashable — 7 Ways Journalists Can Use Foursquare.