The National Association of Black Journalists been working hard to produce a convention experience tailored just for you. TODAY is the last day to take advantage of the pre-registration deadline for NABJ’s 35th Annual Convention & Career Fair in San Diego, July 28- August 1. Or you’re going to be saying, “I can’t believe I missed that!”
As we’ve counted down these last 10 days, I want to share the #1 reason for you to register today: all the new sizzle and programming designed to help you embrace The Power of Change! From Brown Bag Lunch and Learn sessions to brand new evening Plenary Sessions. Read on to see what we have in store.
Opening Ceremony & Opening Plenary featuring television personality Dr. Mehmet Oz and Gospel sensation Donnie McClurkin, moderated by veteran broadcaster Rene Syler and author of Good Enough Mother. This session will take a “hands-on” look at the top health stories affecting African Americans and how you can take them back to your newsrooms and your communities to better inform your readers, listeners and viewers about the importance of taking better care of themselves.
W.E.B DuBois Lecture, featuring David Drummond, senior vice president Corporate Development and chief legal counsel, Google, hosted by Weekend Today anchor Lester Holt. Come hear from the man who is leading the charge for Google as they continue to change the digital landscape on how all of this “new” technology will affect “The Internet and Freedom of Expression.”
HBO’s The Blacklist: Volume 3, Powered By Target:
Who’s on your Blacklist? HBO follows its critically acclaimed volumes 1 and 2 with a third installment that will be screened at NABJ (http://www.blacklis tproject. com). Join us for an exclusive screening, a discussion and Q&A with some of the A-list celebrities featured in the documentary and a cocktail reception, all powered by Target. Disney and Disney Entertainment come back to NABJ with a total emersion experience. Ever thought about what it might be like to work in the Magic Kingdom? Disney has a first-hand look for you. And in true Disney fashion, expect a world full of surprises “Where all of your Dreams can come True!”
NBC Upfront at NABJ will feature an upfront look at NBC’s new spy drama “Undercovers.” From acclaimed filmmaker J.J. Abrams (Star Trek, Fringe, Lost, Alias) and Executive Producer Josh Reims (Brothers and Sisters) comes a one-hour spy drama that proves marriage is still the world’s most dangerous partnership. president and CEO of NBC Universal Jeff Zucker will be on hand to introduce the new series to NABJ and actor Boris Kodjoe joins a discussion about his starring role in the new prime time thriller.
Brown Bag -Lunch and Learn Sessions: Session 1: DNA: The 21st Century Tool for Retracing Your Roots to the Motherland, Powered by The Africa Channel Featured panelists:
- Isaiah Washington, actor/philanthropis t, who through DNA learned of his Sierra Leonean lineage and recently became the first African American to be granted dual citizenship based solely on genetic confirmation of his roots;
- Gina Paige, African Ancestry Co-Founder & President
- Shirley Neal, EVP of Programming & Production for The Africa Channel, who is also the writer/producer of a two-hour special on Washington’s historic experience, entitled “Isaiah Washington’s Passport to Sierra Leone,’ which is set to premiere in HD (where available) on The Africa Channel in August.
Session 2: The Doctors Are In: Checkup on National Health Reform, Powered by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Moderator: George Strait, former ABC News Network Health Correspondent and current FDA Assistant Administrator for Public Affairs
Session 3: Is There A Tablet In Your Future? The Next Wave in Mobile Journalism and What It Means to You Moderator: Bryan Monroe, visiting professor, Medill School of Journalism Panelists:
- Yasmin Namini, Senior Vice President/General Manager, Reader Applications, The New York Times
- Vicki Burns, Vice President, Content & Audience Development, NBC News
- Matt Carter, President of Sprint 4G
Session 4: “The Color of Online: Where Do We Fit In?” Moderator: Deirdre Childress, The Philadelphia Inquirer
- John Harris, Editor-In-Chief, POLITICO
- David Wilson, Founder & Managing Editor, TheGRIO.com
- Andrew Donohue, Editor, VoiceofSanDiego. org
For a full list of programming targeting digital journalism, click here.
And click here — TODAY — to register at the $330 rate for members and $345 rate for associate members. I look forward to seeing you there!