By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF co-chair, Online Managing Editor-Business Aviation, Aviation Week Group
For our new readers, every Friday, I dish up five links that show you new tools, tricks and techniques to enhance your new/social/multimedia skills. They come from my Google Reader, where I have RSS feeds covering all of these areas. If you like what you see below, I encourage you to add them to your RSS feeds. Enjoy!
- 100000 Words – I am a HUGE fan of multimedia journalist Mark Luckie and I always lead this column off with one of his blog posts. This week he offers us 15 Awesome interactive maps from the New York Times.
- Mashable – this is my go-to site for the latest trends and tricks for journalists. Here’s 10 of the Best Social Media Tools for PR Professionals and Journalists (I happen to use four of them).
- Social Media Today – whether you are a Twitter newbie or a pro, this list of 20 Top Twitter Monitoring and Analytics Tools can be of help. I especially like Twitter Analyzer and Monniter.
- Teaching Online Journalism – Professor Mindy McAdams is among those teaching journalism that are leading the charge in preparing the next generation. Here she offers us 7 examples of exceptional Flash packages.
- Multimediashooter – I love this site because it gives you hands-on, simple instructions on how to do something. This week, it’s ShowCase: Create a slideshow in the palm of your hand. Demo and Sample for those of you with iPhones.
And speaking of iPhones, NABJ Digital will be holding a Webinar June 15 on Smartphone Reporting. Join DJTF Task Force VP Serbino Sandifer-Walker and award-winning reporters Gio Benitez of CBS4 Miami and Jeremy Jojola of KOB-TV Albuquerque with tips and also highlighting the pros and cons of using smartphones to report news stories. We’ll be doing it using CoverItLive, and it’s FREE!