By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF co-chair, Online Managing Editor-Business Aviation, Aviation Week Group
- Nette Media Founder and CEO Jessica Faye Carter is holding a webinar enititled “Lessons from the Marketing Campaign Trail: Using Social Media to Engage Multicultural Communities” May 5 at 2:35 p.m. Eastern time. This session helps you build effective multicultural social media campaigns, drawing on current social media research, multicultural marketing principles, and current case studies.
- The Poynter Institute’s News University is holding a webinar entitled “The State of Metro America: Key Trends for the Future,” May 5 at 2:00 p.m. Eastern time. The webinar will help you understand national trends in immigration, race and ethnicity, aging, education, poverty and the effects to your community. The cost is $19.95, but if you use the code PBRKMET10, you can get $15 knocked off the price.
- Arizona State University’s Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism is taking applications for 20 journalists to attend an all-expenses-paid seminar on ‘Covering the Green Economy’ June 28-30. This three-day specialized reporting institute, combined with two follow-up Webinars, will arm attendees with information to help them recognize “greenwashing,” track federal stimulus dollars designed to create green jobs and answer consumers’ most frequently asked questions about leading environmentally sustainable lives.
- May 7 is the last day to apply for 12 fellowship spots at the Maynard Institute’s Multimedia Editing Program from May 31 – June 30, 2010, at the University of Nevada, Reno. The fellowships are made possible by a three-year grant from the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation, and cover tuition, housing and some group meals during the six-week program. It also includes a travel stipend of up to $500.
- Vanderbilt University is soliciting applications for journalists to attend its 2010 media fellowship “Securing Our Future: Energy Solutions and the Environment,” May 19-21, 2010 in Nashville, Tenn.
- The Interactive Innovative blog posts about a series of multimedia training with Maine Media Training May 23 through Oct. 30. Courses include Stills & Video for Multimedia; One-man Band; Intro to Web Design; and Audio Narrative. For more information go to Maine Media Training.
- Mashable is partnering with CNN to hold a Media Summit June 8 in New York City. The summit will feature the intersection of social and digital media and lifestyle themes.
- The Digital Journalist has released its workshops — The New Platypus DSLR Video Journalism, Multimedia and Filmmaking Workshops for 2010. Workshops will be held in Prague, Czech Republic July 9-18; and Rockport, Maine, July 25-August 3 at the Maine Media Workshops.
- Columbia University journalism professor Sree Sreenivasan will chat with NABJDigital May 10 from 6:00-7:00 p.m. on Smarter Social Media for Journalists.
- The Toronto Star is holding a series of new media workshops May 17-19, covering Visual Reporting, Mobile and Social Media Reporting and Web Reporting.
- NABJ Digital Journalism Task Force co-chair Andrew Humphrey and member Michelle Ferrier are among those putting together the next Journalism That Matters conference, in Detroit June 3-6. The conference theme is Help create communities that initiate, innovate and incubate.
- The John S. Knight Fellowships for Professional Journalists and the American Society of Journalists and Authors are holding a conference entitled “The Future of Freelancing: Redefining Journalism. Reinventing Yourself” June 18-19 at Stanford University.
- BusinessJournalism.org is holding a free Webinar, “How to be an entrepreneur as a business journalist” Aug. 9-13. The weeklong Webinar, which teaches how to use your skills to make a living outside mainstream media, will be taught by freelancer and National Association of Black Journalists member Maya Smart and “Ask-the Recruiter” blogger Joe Grimm will teach the five-hour course.
- The Poynter Institute is holding a seminar – Multimedia Storytelling With Video – Sept. 20-24. Tuition is $995, and applications are due Aug. 9.
If you have any items that I’ve missed, please drop me an email via the DJTF Yahoo! Listserv or at regaviationqueen AT yahoo DOT com. Thanks!