By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF co-chair, Online Managing Editor-Business Aviation, Aviation Week Group
- The University of Missouri’s Reynolds Journalism Institute is holding a workshop — Going Mobile: How Newspapers Can Meet the Cell Phone Challenge – April 18-20 in Columbia, Mo. The workshop, overseen by Reynolds Fellow Clyde Bentley, is organizing a group of mobile newspaper editors and mobile phone industry leaders to meet and discuss strategies, concerns and opportunities for the mobile industry during this transition.
- The Bay Area Media Training Consortium, the California Media Workers Guild and the City College of San Francisco, Journalism Department are holding a seminar — Spring Training: Reinvent your Journalism Career – April 24 at the City College of San Francisco’s Ocean Campus.
- Arizona State University’s Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism is taking applications for 20 journalists to attend an all-expenses-paid seminar on ‘Covering the Green Economy’ June 28-30. This three-day specialized reporting institute, combined with two follow-up Webinars, will arm attendees with information to help them recognize “greenwashing,” track federal stimulus dollars designed to create green jobs and answer consumers’ most frequently asked questions about leading environmentally sustainable lives.
- The World Company is hosting the Free State Social April 29-30 at the new Oreadhotel in Lawrence, Kan. “The Free State Social will highlight the best in social media from our area and put local innovations and ideas on a national – even global – stage,” Ben Smith, World Company Social Media Manager, said.
- Vanderbilt University is soliciting applications for journalists to attend its 2010 media fellowship “Securing Our Future: Energy Solutions and the Environment,” May 19-21, 2010 in Nashville, Tenn.
- The Interactive Innovative blog posts about a series of multimedia training with Maine Media Training May 23 through Oct. 30. Courses include Stills & Video for Multimedia; One-man Band; Intro to Web Design; and Audio Narrative. For more information go to Maine Media Training.
- The Digital Journalist has released its workshops — The New Platypus DSLR Video Journalism, Multimedia and Filmmaking Workshops for 2010. Workshops will be held in Prague, Czech Republic July 9-18; and Rockport, Maine, July 25-August 3 at the Maine Media Workshops.
- Columbia University journalism professor Sree Sreenivasan is holding his Smarter Social Media for Journalists, Bloggers & Media Professionals April 20 & 27; 6:30 – 9 p.m.
- BusinessJournalism.org is holding a free Webinar, “Using Social Media to Cover Business Better” April 19-20. The first hour-long Webinar will target those new to Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. The second hour will help you take your use of social media to the next level.
- The American Society of Journalists and Authors is holding its 39th annual writers conference April 23-24 at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York City.
- The Toronto Star is holding a series of new media workshops May 17-19, covering Visual Reporting, Mobile and Social Media Reporting and Web Reporting.
- NABJ Digital Journalism Task Force co-chair Andrew Humphrey and member Michelle Ferrier are among those putting together the next Journalism That Matters conference, in Detroit June 3-6. The conference theme is Help create communities that initiate, innovate and incubate.
- The Poynter Institute is holding a seminar – The Backpack Journalist – June 7-11. Tuition is $995, and applications are due April 26.
- BusinessJournalism.org is holding a free Webinar, “How to be an entrepreneur as a business journalist” Aug. 9-13. The weeklong Webinar, which teaches how to use your skills to make a living outside mainstream media, will be taught by freelancer and National Association of Black Journalists member Maya Smart and “Ask-the Recruiter” blogger Joe Grimm will teach the five-hour course.
- The Poynter Institute is holding a seminar – Multimedia Storytelling With Video – Sept. 20-24. Tuition is $995, and applications are due Aug. 9.
If you have any items that I’ve missed, please drop me an email via the DJTF Yahoo! Listserv or at regaviationqueen AT yahoo DOT com. Thanks!