By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF co-chair, Online Managing Editor-Business Aviation, Aviation Week Group
- The Poynter Institute’s News University is holding a Webinar — Mobile Media 101: Producing News with Your Smartphone — Wednesday, March 3 at 2:00 p.m. Eastern time. NABJ’s Award-winning producer and new media expert Amani Channel will teach you how to livestream video from your phone to the Web, break news using Twitter, and how to syndicate your content across social networks. The fee is $9.95 for NABJ members.
- Tiffany Black, a DJTF member and a senior producer at Inc.com, is holding a 4-week seminar March 9-April 13 on Writing and Editing for the Web. In the Mediabistro course, Black shows you how to write knockout copy and launch a career in online content. The cost is $350.
- BusinessWeek magazine will he holding its annual Media Summit in New York City March 10-11. The summit will host the country’s top media, entertainment and technology executives to discuss broadband, wireless, advertising, TV, film, cable, satellite, publishing, news and other media.
- New York City’s Mediabistro is holding a workshop entitled Basic Social Networking for Media Professionals, featuring Columbia University journalism professor Sree Sreenivasan, March 10, from 6:45-9:45 p.m. You can get a 25% discount on the class price by using the discount code SREE25.
- The Radio Television Digital News Association is partnering with UNITY: Journalists of Color for this year’s RTDNA/UNITY Awards, which honors outstanding achievements in the coverage of diversity. Nominations are due March 12.
- South by Southwest (SXSW) is holding its 2010 Interactive conference in Austin, Texas, March 12-16. Topics include Black Blogging Rock Stars, Evolution of Online Video and The Future of Journalism is Visual.
- The annual 2010 National College Media Convention will be held March 14-16 at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York City. Terry Moran, co-anchor of ABC News’ “Nightline” and Supreme Court correspondent for the network, is will be a keynote speaker at the event.
- The Reynolds Journalism Institute and the Center for the Digital Globe are hosting a symposium on March 15-16 to explore cutting edge ideas for the future of media.
- The University of Central Florida’s student chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists will be holding its first-ever conference March 20 at the campus. The goal is to prepare, encourage and educate minority students pursuing careers in the media, and the one-day workshop will cover four tracks: WWW…Media Frenzy- The Importance of being a “Know it All;” The Classifieds: The Business side of the Industry; Breaking News: Creating Your Story; and Pre and Post Production: What should I be doing as a student now?
- New York City’s Mediabistro is holding a workshop entitled Advanced Social Networking for Media Professionals, featuring Columbia University journalism professor Sree Sreenivasan, March 31, from 6:45-9:45 p.m. You can get a 25% discount on the class price by using the discount code SREE25.
- The Knight Digital Media Center has set a March 26 deadline to apply for its Multimedia Reporting and Convergence Workshop, being held at the University of California-Berkeley May 16-21 and June 13-18. The workshop will offer technical skills needed to produce quality multimedia stories including audio/video recording and editing, Flash graphics, digital cameras, Photoshop and web design concepts.
- Columbia University journalism professor Sree Sreenivasan is holding his Smarter Social Media for Journalists, Bloggers & Media Professionals April 6, 13, 20 & 27; 6:30 – 9 p.m.
- TEDx Seattle will be held April 16 in partnership with the Master of Communication in Digital Media Program at the University of Washington.
- BusinessJournalism.org is holding a free Webinar, “Using Social Media to Cover Business Better” April 19-20. The first hour-long Webinar will target those new to Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. The second hour will help you take your use of social media to the next level.
- The American Society of Journalists and Authors is holding its 39th annual writers conference April 23-24 at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York City.
- The Knight Digital Media Center is taking applications for its News Entrepreneur Boot Camp 2010 May 16-21 at the Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, University of Southern California. The deadline to apply is February 19.
- The Knight Center for Specialized Journalism offers the seminar Digital Life: Policy & Privacy Online at the University of Maryland College Park’s at the Philip Merrill of College of Journalism May 26-29. Topics include Social Media and Crowdsourced Journalism, Knight News Challenge and Back-to-the-Newsroom.
If you have any items that I’ve missed, please drop me an email via the DJTF Yahoo! Listserv or at regaviationqueen AT yahoo DOT com. Thanks!