By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF co-chair, Online Managing Editor-Business Aviation, Aviation Week Group
- The Donald J. Reynolds Journalism Institute is holding a free Webinar — The Erosion of Press Freedom in North America – Feb. 9, 2010, from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- The Online News Association is soliciting proposals for its annual conference Oct. 28-30 in Washington, D.C. Submissions will be accepted Feb. 4-28. Members will then choose the panels they want March 1-21.
- Answers.com is sponsoring the Online Community Unconference East 2010 in New York City Feb. 10. The unconference brings together online community professionals to discuss experience and strategies in the development and growth of online communities.
- The Knight Digital Media Center has set a Feb. 17 deadline to apply for its Independent Journalists Workshop, being held at the University of California-Berkeley March 21-26. The week-long workshop will offer hands-on training and tools to get started with or build an online publishing enterprise.
- The Institute for Interactive Journalism is taking applications to fund nine projects at up to $25,000 to launch a participatory news venture in local communities. Proposals are due March 1.
- BusinessWeek magazine will he holding its annual Media Summit in New York City March 10-11. The summit will host the country’s top media, entertainment and technology executives to discuss broadband, wireless, advertising, TV, film, cable, satellite, publishing, news and other media.
- The Radio Television Digital News Association is partnering with UNITY: Journalists of Color for this year’s RTDNA/UNITY Awards, which honors outstanding achievements in the coverage of diversity. Nominations are due March 12.
- South by Southwest (SXSW) is holding its 2010 Interactive conference in Austin, Texas, March 12-16. Topics include Black Blogging Rock Stars, Evolution of Online Video and The Future of Journalism is Visual.
- The annual 2010 National College Media Convention will be held March 14-16 at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York City. Terry Moran, co-anchor of ABC News’ “Nightline” and Supreme Court correspondent for the network, is will be a keynote speaker at the event.
- The Reynolds Journalism Institute and the Center for the Digital Globe are hosting a symposium on March 15-16 to explore cutting edge ideas for the future of media.
- The University of Central Florida’s student chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists will be holding its first-ever conference March 20 at the campus. The goal is to prepare, encourage and educate minority students pursuing careers in the media, and the one-day workshop will cover four tracks: WWW…Media Frenzy- The Importance of being a “Know it All;” The Classifieds: The Business side of the Industry; Breaking News: Creating Your Story; and Pre and Post Production: What should I be doing as a student now?
- The Knight Digital Media Center has set a March 26 deadline to apply for its Multimedia Reporting and Convergence Workshop, being held at the University of California-Berkeley May 16-21 and June 13-18. The workshop will offer technical skills needed to produce quality multimedia stories including audio/video recording and editing, Flash graphics, digital cameras, Photoshop and web design concepts.
- TEDx Seattle will be held April 16 in partnership with the Master of Communication in Digital Media Program at the University of Washington.
- BusinessJournalism.org is holding a free Webinar, “Using Social Media to Cover Business Better” April 19-20. The first hour-long Webinar will target those new to Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. The second hour will help you take your use of social media to the next level.
- The Knight Digital Media Center is taking applications for its News Entrepreneur Boot Camp 2010 May 16-21 at the Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, University of Southern California. The deadline to apply is February 19.
- The Knight Center for Specialized Journalism offers the seminar Digital Life: Policy & Privacy Online at the University of Maryland College Park’s at the Philip Merrill of College of Journalism May 26-29. Topics include Social Media and Crowdsourced Journalism, Knight News Challenge and Back-to-the-Newsroom.
If you have any items that I’ve missed, please drop me an email via the DJTF Yahoo! Listserv or at regaviationqueen AT yahoo DOT com. Thanks!