By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF chair & freelance aviation/travel journalist and blogger
This column is back! Every Friday, I’ll list five things for your consideration as you continue your journey on the road to digital journalism. Enjoy!
- Nieman Journalism Lab — Metrics, metrics everywhere: How do we measure the impact of journalism? The Associated Press’s Jonathan Stray writes a thoughtful piece on a not-so-new topic.
- 10000 Words — What Are Basic Social Media Skills Journalists Need? The debate rages on, but I do agree with this basic list.
- Mashable — Ethics Basics for Bloggers. As a journalist, I learned the rules in college. But blogging is the wild west for many, so this guide comes in handy.
- Journalism.co.uk — #Podcast – Lessons in long-form video journalism from the Guardian and Vice. As the conversation about the future of long-form journalism continues, this podcast discusses how the Guardian is making it work.
- BlogHer — Blogger Beware: You CAN Get Sued For Using Photos You Don’t Own on Your Blog. When I do website portfolio reviews for NABJ students and young journalists, 99% of the have nice photos. And most of them are used without permission. This post explains what can happen if you’re caught.