By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF co-chair, Online Managing Editor-Business Aviation, Aviation Week Group
At last month’s NABJ annual convention, I moderated a panel — Brand Yourself, Ensure Your Survival — on how journalists can and should brand themselves. Reasons I gave to do this included: having a higher profile makes firing/layoffs harder; your company/industry sees you as invaluable source; and you have unique knowledge to showcase. So in that spirit, today’s five plus five are links that can help you get started with your personal branding campaign. For a more comprehensive look, I recommend checking out Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success at your local library.
But before we start, I have a public service announcement. Please join DJTF and the NABJ Media Institute on Tuesday, Aug. 24 for a free BlogTalkRadio show: “Internet Etiquette: Being `Socially’ Responsible.” Did you miss this popular panel at last month’s NABJ annual conference? We’re re-creating it in this one-hour show! Journalists can post information on their social networks that may be harmful to their reputation. Lifestyle & Etiquette Expert Elaine Swann and Howard University graduate student and Google Fellow Kiara Pesante will give you the do’s and don’t’s on navigating proper Internet etiquette, and we’ll leave plenty of time for your questions. Hope you can join us!
- 10000 Words – 10 Ways to track what people are saying about you on Twitter. It’s not enough to create the brand; you also have to track what people are saying about you and your brand.
- Adam Vincenzini’s Share-house – Snapshot of your social media presence (all five parts) via @socialmouths. Adam links to the Socialmouths blog 5-part series on your social media presence.
- Mashable – 7 Services to Find and Reserve Your Name Across the Web. So you’ve decided to take the plunge. You need to find that perfect name (whether it’s your actual one or not). These websites are one-stop shops that let you check across myriad platforms quickly and easily.
- Voosh Themes – Create A Professional Portfolio Using WordPress 3.0 Custom Post Types. You need a website/blog to serve as a showcase for your work.
- Bit Rebels – 7 Steps To Building Your Online Identity. So you’ve decided to take the plunge. Or you’re having trouble deciding what that identity should be. Check this blog post out for some clarity.
- Brian Solis – 5 Not-So-Easy Steps to Managing Your Brand Online. Once you’ve decided what to do, you have to manage it. Check out these tips for doing that successfully.
- Social Media Biz – How to optimize your LinkedIn profile. I was one of those people who created a perfunctory LinkedIn profile just to be in that space. But after I heard a lecture from Columbia University dean of student affairs & professor Sree Sreenivasan on the benefits of LinkedIn, I updated my profile and opportunities and new contacts flowed in.
- Sitepoint – 12 Reasons You Need a Facebook Fan Page and 5 Easy Steps for Creating One.
- Mashable – 5 Ways to Clean Up Your Social Media Identity. There are some people who have myriad websites, blogs, Twitter accounts, YouTube channels, etc. This post offers great tips on how to wrangle all your identities into a cohesive face.
- AppStorm – 15 Great Ways to Secure Your Website. So you have that website, but you need to make sure you’re the only one with access to it.