By Benét J. Wilson, DJTF co-chair, Online Managing Editor-Business Aviation, Aviation Week Group
- The Online News Association is soliciting proposals for its annual conference Oct. 28-30 in Washington, D.C. Submissions will be accepted Feb. 4-28. Members will then choose the panels they want March 1-21.
- The Institute for Interactive Journalism is taking applications to fund nine projects at up to $25,000 to launch a participatory news venture in local communities. Proposals are due March 1.
- Tiffany Black, a DJTF member and a senior producer at Inc.com, is holding a 4-week seminar March 9-April 13 on Writing and Editing for the Web. In the Mediabistro course, Black shows you how to write knockout copy and launch a career in online content. The cost is $350.
- BusinessWeek magazine will he holding its annual Media Summit in New York City March 10-11. The summit will host the country’s top media, entertainment and technology executives to discuss broadband, wireless, advertising, TV, film, cable, satellite, publishing, news and other media.
- New York City’s Mediabistro is holding a workshop entitled Basic Social Networking for Media Professionals, featuring Columbia University journalism professor Sree Sreenivasan, March 10, from 6:45-9:45 p.m. You can get a 25% discount on the class price by using the discount code SREE25.
- The Radio Television Digital News Association is partnering with UNITY: Journalists of Color for this year’s RTDNA/UNITY Awards, which honors outstanding achievements in the coverage of diversity. Nominations are due March 12.
- South by Southwest (SXSW) is holding its 2010 Interactive conference in Austin, Texas, March 12-16. Topics include Black Blogging Rock Stars, Evolution of Online Video and The Future of Journalism is Visual.
- The annual 2010 National College Media Convention will be held March 14-16 at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York City. Terry Moran, co-anchor of ABC News’ “Nightline” and Supreme Court correspondent for the network, is will be a keynote speaker at the event.
- The Reynolds Journalism Institute and the Center for the Digital Globe are hosting a symposium on March 15-16 to explore cutting edge ideas for the future of media.
- The University of Central Florida’s student chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists will be holding its first-ever conference March 20 at the campus. The goal is to prepare, encourage and educate minority students pursuing careers in the media, and the one-day workshop will cover four tracks: WWW…Media Frenzy- The Importance of being a “Know it All;” The Classifieds: The Business side of the Industry; Breaking News: Creating Your Story; and Pre and Post Production: What should I be doing as a student now?
- New York City’s Mediabistro is holding a workshop entitled Advanced Social Networking for Media Professionals, featuring Columbia University journalism professor Sree Sreenivasan, March 31, from 6:45-9:45 p.m. You can get a 25% discount on the class price by using the discount code SREE25.
- The Knight Digital Media Center has set a March 26 deadline to apply for its Multimedia Reporting and Convergence Workshop, being held at the University of California-Berkeley May 16-21 and June 13-18. The workshop will offer technical skills needed to produce quality multimedia stories including audio/video recording and editing, Flash graphics, digital cameras, Photoshop and web design concepts.
- Columbia University journalism professor Sree Sreenivasan is holding his Smarter Social Media for Journalists, Bloggers & Media Professionals April 6, 13, 20 & 27; 6:30 – 9 p.m.
- TEDx Seattle will be held April 16 in partnership with the Master of Communication in Digital Media Program at the University of Washington.
- BusinessJournalism.org is holding a free Webinar, “Using Social Media to Cover Business Better” April 19-20. The first hour-long Webinar will target those new to Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. The second hour will help you take your use of social media to the next level.
- The Knight Digital Media Center is taking applications for its News Entrepreneur Boot Camp 2010 May 16-21 at the Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, University of Southern California. The deadline to apply is February 19.
- The Knight Center for Specialized Journalism offers the seminar Digital Life: Policy & Privacy Online at the University of Maryland College Park’s at the Philip Merrill of College of Journalism May 26-29. Topics include Social Media and Crowdsourced Journalism, Knight News Challenge and Back-to-the-Newsroom.
If you have any items that I’ve missed, please drop me an email via the DJTF Yahoo! Listserv or at regaviationqueen AT yahoo DOT com. Thanks!